Friday, July 5, 2013

Family Favorite: Hamburger Pie and Cornbread

 Family Favorite



     This post will be about one of our favorite meals.  I know when this goes on the table only empty plates come back.  This recipe is one that I grew up with and remember eating with my family.  
     Hamburger Pie is a simple version of shepherd's pie.  It's made with ground meat and canned veggies and soup.  Sometimes I make real mashed potatoes, but other times I use instant.  You can change this recipe up however you want.  You can change the ground beef into turkey, pork or chicken.  You can use any combination of cream soup and canned veggies.  I have used the following alternate combinations with good results:
  • beef, golden mushroom soup, corn
  • turkey, cream of mushroom soup, mixed veggies
  • chicken, cream of celery soup, peas and carrots
     Use whatever combinations that sound tasty. If you find another good combination, leave me a comment.  I would love to try it.
 
     My biggest issue with cornbread is that it is usually dry and crumbly.  This recipe is so moist that you almost won't believe it's cornbread.  The kids love it and always ask if they can have the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. 

The Recipes

 Hamburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 can cut green beans
3 cups mashed potatoes
  • Brown meat and drain.
  • Mix in veggies and soup and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.
  • Cover with potatoes.
  • Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cornbread

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 box Jiffy yellow cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup mayonaise
1 can corn (optional)
  • Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan.
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
Another thing that makes this meal easy to put together is that they bake at the same temperature for the same amount of time.  Can't beat that!  I can smell the cornbread baking as I am writing this post and can't wait until the timer goes off.

Have a happy family dinner, y'all!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment