Thursday, July 11, 2013

New Recipe Challenge: Cheesy Potatoes and Ham

 

The Challenge

     I love cooking with my crock-pot, especially in the winter.  This recipe only cooks for 4 hours, but it's good when you have a busy afternoon.  It's very simple to throw together and tastes great.  If you use frozen potatoes it goes together even faster.  It's a delicious way to use up leftover ham after Easter.
     Since kids, including mine, love cheese; I thought it would be a good recipe to try. 


The Recipe

2 lbs. peeled and sliced potatoes or 1 bag of frozen diced hash browns
1 cup diced ham
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
1/2 cup finely diced or grated onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper 
  • In the crock-pot bowl, mix together the potatoes, ham, onion and 1 cup of the cheese. 
  • In a separate bowl mix together the soup, water, and seasonings.
  • Pour evenly over the potato mixture and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
  • About 15 minutes before serving.  Stir to evenly distribute the cheese sauce and sprinkle the final 1/2 cup cheese over the top. 

The Results

     My husband and I loved it.  The sauce is creamy and the potatoes cooked perfectly.  I used red skinned potatoes and left the skins on when I sliced them.  It comes down to personal preference. 
     Timothy really liked it, but left a pile of diced onions at the edge of his plate.  I think that next time I will grate them and he won't even notice them.
     Rebekah ate it, but I don't think it was her favorite.  It took her a while to clean her plate, but she said that she would eat it again.
     Overall a good result.  With a little personal adjustments it should be a winner. 

Have a Happy Family Dinner, Y'all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment